Each week Taproot brings together the latest on the research, technology, companies and people changing health and healthcare for the better in Edmonton. If you have a suggestion for a future edition of the roundup, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Here are some highlights from this week’s Health Innovation Roundup:
- Edmonton officially put in its proposal for a chance to win a $50 million prize in Infrastructure Canada’s Smart Cities Challenge. The City submitted its proposal with the theme “Healthy City” after more than a year of working on it. Edmonton is one of five finalists and will be vying for the $50 million top prize against Vancouver/Surrey, Montreal, Quebec City and the Region of Waterloo.
- Canadian researchers out of the Edmonton-based GlycoNet met counterparts in Taiwan at the Short Courses in Frontier Science and Technology at Academia Sinica from Feb. 18 to 22 to share the latest in carbohydrates research and to set up potential collaborations.
- Researchers out of the University of Alberta Department of Chemistry and the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry created a new molecular compound that could be used to stop cancer cells from repairing DNA. The research is in the pre-clinical trial stage.
- The provincial government announced that Alberta Innovates will receive $31 million to help expand artificial intelligence capacity in the province in part by attracting a new tech accelerator. See the latest Tech Roundup for more.
- The Healthy Community Symposium by the Communities ChooseWell and the Alberta Cancer Prevention Legacy Fund will host the “Connecting Changemakers” symposium at the Santa Maria Goretti Centre at 11050 90 Street from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on March 7 and from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on March 8.
- The Greater Edmonton Health Advisory Council is inviting Leduc residents and other members of the public to meet the council, give feedback on health services and share ideas with decision makers at Alberta Health Services on March 11 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Leduc Community Hospital Boardroom A.
- The University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry will host the Neurology Update Conference at the Edmonton Convention Centre on March 16 from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The 2019 Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health Symposium will be held in Edmonton from April 14 to 16.
- SingularityU Canada’s 2019 Summit will be held in Edmonton on April 23 and 24. This year’s event will focus on challenges concerning Health, Energy, Prosperity, and Citizenship.
- The Canadian Cytometry and Microscopy Association will host its next conference at the University of Alberta on June 17 and 18.
The Health Innovation Roundup, sponsored by Health City, is a weekly email newsletter written and published by Taproot Edmonton.
Sign up to get the full edition delivered directly to your inbox. If you sign up for a Taproot membership using the code HEALTHCITY, you’ll get 10% off the first year.